LANGUAGE ASSISTANCE SERVICES
- Language Assistance Services
- Servicios de Asistencia Lingüística
- Servizi di assistenza linguistica – Italian
- Serviços de Assistência em Outros Idiomas – Portuguese
- Shërbime Ndihmëse Gjuhësore – Albanian
- Sèvis Èd nan Lang – Haitian Creole
- Usługi językowe – Polish
- Оказание языковой помощи – Russian
- الخدمات اللغوية المساعدة – ARABIC
- زباندانی کی مُعاونتی خِدمات – URDU
- भाषा सहायता सेवाएं – Hindu
- ভাষা সহয়তা সেবা সমূহ – BENGALI
- ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਸੇਵਾਵਾਂ – PUNJABI
- 語言協助服務 – CHINESE
- 언어 지원 서비스 – KOREAN
Flushing Hospital Medical Center serves a diverse community and prides itself on offering a variety of language assistance services to Limited English Proficient (LEP), Deaf, hard of hearing, blind and visually impaired patients and/or their companions. In order to provide reasonable accommodations and eliminate language barriers, the hospital offers the following services at no cost to the patient:
- Qualified Medical Interpreters for Limited English Proficient patients and/or their companions. Some bilingual staff members have been trained in medical interpreting by accredited medical interpreter training programs or deemed qualified to interpret medical information.
- Qualified Bilingual Providers who are also native speakers of a foreign language with medical experience abroad or they have been evaluated and deemed qualified to convey medical information to patients in another language.
- Over-the-phone interpretation service in over 200 languages available 24 hours.
- Qualified American Sign Language Interpreters for patients who are Deaf and/or their companions.
- Video Remote Interpretation (VRI) service available 24 hours for patients who are Deaf and/or their companions.
- Auxiliary aids and services for persons who are hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired.
- Multilingual signage posted throughout main inpatient and outpatient areas. Signs indicating Patient’s Rights, Notice of Non Discrimination, and Notice of Interpretation Services
- Multilingual forms, documents, and other materials are also provided to our Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients in their preferred language.
In addition to these services, Flushing Hospital Medical Center employees are educated and trained on language assistance policies and procedures. All employees are also provided information on a variety of topics pertinent to language assistance, including: the impact of language barriers on patient care, identification of patient’s preferred language, how to request an interpreter, and cultural competency. To contact Flushing Hospital’s Language Assistance Program, please call the Coordinator at 718-670-8776.