Established in 1884, Flushing Hospital Medical Center has been providing high-quality care to the community for 135 years. As Queens’ first hospital, we have seen the community grow through the years and we have grown to meet your needs.
Our Mission is “To provide superior service to our patients and our community in a caring environment”
Our Vision remains “To be the highest quality, most cost effective healthcare provider, responsive and sensitive to all.”
Below are some facts about Flushing Hospital that will help you learn more about us
Flushing Hospital is a 293-bed, not-for-profit teaching hospital.
Approximately 39,000 patients were treated in the Flushing Hospital’s Ambulatory Care Center.
Over 2,600 babies were delivered at Flushing Hospital.
Nearly 44,000 patients were treated in FHMC’s Emergency Department.
- Flushing Hospital’s Bariatric Surgical Service was recently designated as a Center of Excellence. This service offers a wide variety of procedures such as Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Adjustable Lap Band, Duodenal Switch and Gastric Revisions. Support and counseling services such as close physician monitoring, pre surgery psychological evaluation, post-surgery psychological counseling, personalized diet and nutrition counseling and ongoing education and support groups are also provided.
- Flushing Hospital’s Division of Robotic Surgery provides a wide variety of minimally invasive procedures in the fields of general surgery, bariatric surgery, gynecology, gastroenterology, and urology. These procedures result in less pain and scarring, quicker recovery, and better outcomes.
- Flushing Hospital’s on-site Ambulatory Care Center (ACC) was expanded in 2013. There are now approximately 40 general and specialty services offered by the ACC, including internal and pediatric medicine, dermatology, ophthalmology, and podiatry to name a few.
- Flushing Hospital’s Women’s Health Center provides a wide variety of outpatient services including a comprehensive prenatal care program and gynecology services. When it is time to deliver your baby, our eight. ultra-modern and spacious Labor Delivery & Recovery suites to provide a comfortable environment to deliver your baby. The department also offers gynecological oncology services to treat all gynecologic malignancies, including laparoscopic surgery.
- The Department of Radiology offers a variety of imaging services in its newly renovated and comfortable suite including 3T MRI, Low Dose Dual Energy CT, Digital Mammography, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, Diagnostic X-ray, Interventional Radiology and Bone Density. The department also offers ImageShare which allows you to virtually view your images from home or your doctor’s office.
- The Maureen Russo Hospice Unit operated by Flushing Hospital, is a four-bed unit dedicated to providing medical care and comfort care services to patients during their end of life.
- Flushing Hospital operates a full service emergency department that consists of separate adult and pediatric units. Flushing Hospital is also a 911 receiving hospital and a New York State Designated Stroke Center.
- Flushing Hospital’s Department of Psychiatry offers a wide array of mental health and addiction services. The department consists of an 18-bed acute care voluntary inpatient unit, a 30-bed medically-managed Chemical Dependence Unit (CDU), an outpatient mental health clinic, and the “Reflections” outpatient Chemical Dependence clinic,. They also offer a consultation-liaison service for our medical service.
- With a comprehensive range of services and broad range of subspecialties, Flushing Hospital’s Department of Pediatrics provides expert care for acute and chronic illnesses in infants, children, and young adults. The department’s specialty areas and services include a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), as well as a newborn nursery.
- The Wound Care Center at Flushing Hospital is a six-bed outpatient center designed to treat and heal patients in need of wound care. The center provides the most advanced treatment for chronic or non-healing wounds and helps patients heal quicker, avoid amputation, and improve their overall quality of life.
- Flushing Hospital is the recipient of many awards and achievements including the American Heart Association’s/American Stroke Association’s Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement award, as well as “Healthgrades” Patient Safety Award and the Obstetrics and Gynecology Excellence Award.
Flushing Hospital Achievements
Our facility received the American Stroke Association/ American Heart Association’s award called Get with the Guidelines – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement. We received this honor for achieving certain quality achievement standards for diagnosing and treating stroke patients.
Flushing Hospital also recently earned accreditation through the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. We are now a “Comprehensive Center” due to our proven ability to meet high patient care and safety standards.
With our 293 beds, Flushing Hospital in 2017 served 39,000 ambulatory care patients, delivered more than 3,100 babies, and treated more than 41,000 emergency department patients in the Queens area.
Those are just some of our city, state, and nation-wide awards and recognition.
Flushing’s Involvement in Post-Secondary Education
Flushing Hospital is also known as a leading not-for-profit teaching medical facility. Through our graduate and undergraduate medical education department, we oversee medical trainees in the areas of obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, general dentistry, surgery, and pediatrics.
At our education-driven hospital, we continuously ensure that our entire medical team provides five-star care to all of our patients. Our compassion, medical advancements, and passion for educating patients through our articles, news, and other helpful materials for the community continue to boost our reputation in New York.
Experience the Flushing Hospital Difference Today
If you need the highest-quality care possible, you can trust the staff at Flushing Hospital to not only meet but also exceed your expectations. As a result, you can rest assured that whenever you visit our facility, you will leave changed for the better.