The most popular time of year to start a diet is when the calendar turns over to a new year. If your 2018 New Year’s Resolution is to lose weight, Flushing Hospital’s Bariatric Center offers the following tips:
- Set a Goal – You can’t set out on a mission to lose weight without knowing how you are going to do it. Create a detailed weight-loss plan and set a goal that is specific, measurable and realistic.
- Be Patient! – In most cases if you make modest adjustments in your lifestyle, you can lose the weight gradually, but steadily. Dietary changes are typically easier to follow when you take slow, small steps.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Water is free of calories, inexpensive and provides your body with a quenching boost. Recommendations are to drink eights cups of water every day, but if that is unrealistic, try slowly increasing your intake by drinking a few ounces more than you did the previous day.
- Avoid the Munchies – It is very easy to lose track of how much we eat when we are constantly nibbling on snacks. To avoid constant munching, try chewing gum or drinking water. If you must snack, try choosing healthy alternatives.
- Make a Deal to Indulge – Definitely remove your dietary weakness from your home, but totally banning your favorite foods is bound to backfire. Instead of totally eliminating temptations from your life, allow yourself to modestly indulge once a week.
- Begin a Manageable Workout Program – Forking over money on an annual gym membership can be helpful, but simply signing up isn’t enough. Instead of setting unrealistic workout goals, create a convenient and realistic workout routine at home.
- Have a Friend Help You – Starting a diet can be more effective if you have someone to hold you accountable. Teaming up with a weight-loss companion can assist you reach your goal by helping you stick to your diet and accompany you with your workout routine.
Hopefully, these tips will help you reach your weight loss goals in 2018. If however, you need professional assistance, Flushing Hospital’s Bariatric Center can help. They offer a variety of non-invasive, medically managed surgical weight loss options for those who qualify.
To make an appointment, please call 718-670-8908.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.