Using skill, compassion and advanced technology, the Department of Pediatrics provides care for acute and chronic illnesses to infants, children and young adults. Offering a comprehensive range of services, it is fully staffed by pediatricians specializing in primary care, adolescent medicine and a broad range of pediatric subspecialties.
Pediatric In-Patient Care
Flushing Hospital operates a dedicated, 28 - bed unit on the fourth floor of the main building. All patient rooms on the pediatric floor are outfitted to ensure the comfort of both patient and parent. The floor has a fully equipped playroom including a library and a computer, and an audiovisual room stocked with the most current selection of videos. A child life program teams certified child life specialists together with trained volunteers who help youngsters contend with illness, trauma and stress. The department's multi-ethnic, multi-lingual staff enhances their ability to communicate with and serve its youngest patients.
Specialty Areas and Services
- The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is designed to care for patients with life threatening illnesses. The facility contains sophisticated state-of-the-art equipment and is staffed by specialized pediatricians, nurses and ancillary personnel.
- Our Newborn Nurseries provide infants with a warm and safe environment. To aid in the transition from delivery to home, mothers are provided with instruction in breast feeding and child care
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is equipped with the latest technology to care for infants born prematurely or with complications. Even the tiniest babies can be cared for in this unit, which provides specialized testing and the use of modern equipment to manage medical and surgical illnesses. The unit is staffed by highly specialized, Board Certified physicians, certified neonatal nurses, nurse practitioners and social workers. NICU babies continue to receive specialized care after discharge.
- The Infant Apnea Monitoring Program is a New York State approved referral center for all infants at risk for sudden infant death. For information on patient evaluation and outpatient follow-up with supportive services, call 718-670-5638.
- The Early Intervention Program provides evaluations and therapy to infants and toddlers (up to age 3) with a suspected or confirmed developmental delay. This program provides psychological, speech, physical therapy, occupational therapy and social work evaluations. The unit provide services in the areas of physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and special education. Services are provided at no cost to the family through a grant with the New York City Department of Health Early Intervention Program. For more information, call 718-206-8440.
Pediatric Out-Patient Care
Flushing Hospital operates a Pediatric Ambulatory Care Center on the ground floor of the main building. The center is open Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 7:00pm. To make an appointment, please call 718-670-5486.
|The Pediatric Ambulatory Care Center offers a wide range of pediatric specialty services including:|
|General Pediatric Care||Pediatric Allergy||Pediatric Hematology/Oncology||Preemie Follow-up|
|Adolescent Medicine||Pediatric Asthma||Pediatric Nephrology||Well Baby|
|Early Intervention Program||Pediatric Cardiology||Pediatric Neurology|
|Infant Apnea Program||Pediatric Endocrinology||Pediatric Orthopedics|
|Infectious Disease||Pediatric Gastroenterology||Pediatric Surgery|